Bigger Bras

October 12, 2011

CHELSEA SETTLES

Filed under: Reality Shows — Tags: , — @ 7:30 pm

Yesterday a new reality show hit MTV about a girl name Chelsea Settles who weighs over 300 lbs and wants to move to Los Angeles to pursue a career in the fashion industry. Of course you know I HAD to see this show, especially since a lot of shows that have thickettes as the main characters end up being a disaster. So within the first 10 minutes of the show Chelsea is in a fast food drive-thru and after she eats she starts to explain that she hides her fast food bags in her car because she doesn’t want people to see her throw them away. Immediately after her explanation she begins to cry.
Okay……so as soon as I see her cry I am thinking…..great we have another “More to Love” show where they want us to be seen as the poor big girl who will do anything to be a size 2 so she can be accepted. This almost turned me off which made me want to turn the damn channel but I decided to continue to watch hoping that the show would get better.
Most of the show focuses on Chelsea’s life in PA. She takes care of her ill mother and has a thick male cousin who also has dreams of moving to LA. Chelsea goes to doctor where she find out she is “obese” and decides to make drastic changes to lose weight. She joins the local gym where they measure her where she begins to cry again. I assumed that maybe she was embarrassed because the cameras where on her, but either way so far I still have not heard what Chelsea likes about herself. She is a beautiful girl, who has an amazing personality but she can’t get over the fact that she is plus size. But I will give you more of what I think later…Now the next highlight was Chelsea’s boyfriend. I was sooooo happy to see she had a boyfriend, I felt it showed America that we can have a man committed to us and accept us for our size. Well…..I spoke too soon….Chelsea’s man has cheated on her and Chelsea explains that while her boyfriend did cheat on her who else will accept her at her size so she was going to stay by him (WTF). Chelsea and her man are talking and Chelsea begins to talk about her dreams and her man shuts her down doubting what she can do. Chelsea takes his negative comments as a challenge and decides she is going to take her dreams seriously and move forward with her plans to move to LA.
Chelsea decides to go to the club to celebrate her cousin’s birthday and while they let people in front of Chelsea go in, they stop her and tell her to step aside while they continue to let people in. Now this scene hit home for me and my thicksational friends watching because it is typical for certain clubs to only want a certain “look” in their club. Chelsea leaves and while she is walking to her car a group of drunk MOFOS start to call her ignorant a** names and AGAIN Chelsea begins to CRY. At this point I was screaming at the TV saying “Dammit fight for your respect…go the hell off!” I don’t care what size she is. EVERYONE DESERVES RESPECT AND IF PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE THE COMMON SENSE TO AUTOMATICALLY GIVE IT TO YOU SOMETIMES A GOOD CURSE OUT CAN HELP :). After the club incident Chelsea stays in her house until she receives a call from LA that the apartment she wanted to move in was available and decides she is going to finally move to LA.
THE END
Okay so I think this show has potential. I feel this is a great show for our young thickettes who may feel like Chelsea. Now….I hope this show does not focus on her losing weight to gain acceptance in the fashion industry. This will completely turn me off. While I know she wants to lose weight it should ONLY be for her health. If this show focuses on Chelsea loving herself no matter what size she is then my thickettes we have a winner. After all if she doesn’t love herself now she will not love herself at a smaller size right?
You can see the full episode below. What do you think of the show thickettes?(Photo Source: Twitter, MTV)

11 Comments »

1. I didn’t watch the show, but Chelsea was on Wendy Williams this week, and it looks like she lost a few pounds already. Wendy told her that she thought she was gorgeous, regardless of whether she’s plus size or not, and more or less told her not to let L.A. pressure wear her down. This sounds like an interesting show. I’ve no faith in MTV or VH1 reality shows, so write most of them off… and know that MTV has a history of scripted (non) reality shows behind them… But this one sounds interesting! I’ll have to catch the premiere ep. And you’re right… She should demand respect from people. Folks are so mean and hateful.

Comment by Coffey — October 12, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

2. Can I admit that I sit in my car on my lunch and I hide my fast food bags in the car so that no one sees me to judge me? Shame, i know. :( I don’t even know why I care…I read about Chelsea and I heard her clip from Wendy Williams. I haven’t watched the show cause I’m afraid they are going to focus on her weight loss journey alone and show her bashing herself. I suppose this makes good tv for MTV. :-/ if it turns out to be the opposite, I’ll gladly eat my words.

Comment by Nikstar — October 12, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

3. I didnt get the chance to see the first show, but I had seen previews. MTV, (like most everyone these days) is tapping into a market that has always been there to show up in drones to support something that showed people that looked like them. MTV isn’t doing anything special, but what will make the show special is the growth this young lady will have during her journey that may touch just one person. There is so much self loathing she has, which is not unlike many of us who have/do stuff ourselves with food and ar ashamed afterwords, or who allow significant others, friends, family, even strangers to diminish our spirit. It will be amazing to see how she changes by not allowing that to happen.

And listen, being a size 2 isnt the answer, but disrespecting the body by not taking care of it and inviting disease isnt worth the “I’m plus size and love it” mantra we hear so much today. No one says you have to drop 200lbs, but open your eyes, put on some tennis shoes and thank God that he gave you the tools to stay as healthy as you can for as long as you can. Hopefully, MTV will show her weight loss in that light rather than “i hate being fat, I will be better if I’m skinny” way. Too soon to tell I suppose.

Comment by Sommer — October 13, 2011 @ 2:48 am

4. She’s so hot. I wanna meet her!!!

Comment by manny — October 13, 2011 @ 7:05 pm

5. Hello, love to talk to you, I.v been there, maybe I can help you, we all need friends. Smile

Comment by Kim Shoubaki — October 18, 2011 @ 11:30 am

6. I’ve watched the show and I feel like all she does is bash skinny people and complain how much more better life would be if she was skinny.
    I feel like no matter what size you are people will always judge you (I’m opposite, super skinny not by choice, but still hear the same negative comments) So before Chelz gains cool points with me I’m going to need for her to chill on the self-esteem stuff, not all skinny people have no cares in the world and she’s a beautiful girl, be yourself, own it and stop bringing yourself down!

Comment by kee — October 19, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

7. she’s beautiful

Comment by larry g. — October 19, 2011 @ 7:04 pm

8. I really like what I’m seeing from this show so far! From the moment you meet Chelsea you can’t help bu root for her. I hope that MTV doesn’t take this show down the generic ‘weight loss reality show’ road, because it has potential – Chelsea has some depth, and I like how it focuses on her growth mentally just as much of her challenge of losing weight.

Other kudos= great theme song! (I love Ingrid Michaelson) and also I was really happy when I heard Molly Marlette’s “Cause for Concern” in the premiere when she goes to the laundromat with her grandma. (watch the scene at http://vimeo.com/30751546 ).

Comment by darci — October 28, 2011 @ 6:01 pm

9. I watched the show. I really like it. I think she is such a beautiful girl. In the second episode, it really bothered me when she went to her job interview, and she was judged immediately by her size. Weight is such a big issue in our society. Its very difficult to deal with, and I hope she is successful in all her plans.

Comment by Miss Pooh — October 30, 2011 @ 11:28 am

10. Iv seen the show and let me tell you something, I think that you are very pretty!! you shouldn’t feel sad or care what other people say they only do that to make themselves feel better because they are less than others…you are better than them

Comment by michelle — November 1, 2011 @ 6:59 pm

11. I LOVE THICK WOMEN IF I WAS HER KING SHE WOULD BE FULLY SUPPORTED DONT LET ANY ONE DETOUR YOUR DREAMS

Comment by KING — December 27, 2011 @ 10:33 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.